A Change in Me (Beauty and the Beast)

elise
Site Admin

Song and Character Analysis (thanks chatgpt)

Post by elise »

Song Analysis:
"A Change in Me" is a powerful ballad written by Alan Menken, known for his work on numerous Disney films. The song encapsulates the theme of personal growth and self-discovery. The lyrics reveal a transformation taking place within the protagonist, as they reflect on their past and the changes they have undergone. The opening lines, "There's been a change in me, A kind of moving on," set the tone for the song, suggesting a sense of progression and evolution. The protagonist acknowledges that while they still rely on their past experiences, they have come to realise that positive outcomes can arise from difficult circumstances. This newfound understanding brings them joy and contentment, as expressed in the line, "But oh it makes me glad." The song's chorus highlights the shift in perspective, as the protagonist states they never thought they would let go of their childhood dreams, but now they love the world they see and embrace the change within themselves. The repetition of the phrase "No change of heart, A change in me" further emphasises the inner transformation and the acceptance of the new self.

Character Analysis:
The character undergoing this change in "A Change in Me" demonstrates a journey of self-discovery and personal growth. At the beginning of the song, the character acknowledges their past and the reliance they still have on it, indicating a connection to their previous self. However, as the song progresses, they come to a realisation that good can emerge from difficult situations. This realisation marks a turning point, as they start embracing the changes and understanding the importance of personal evolution. The character reflects on their past expectations, particularly their childhood dreams, and expresses a willingness to let them go. This showcases their acceptance of the present and a newfound love for the world they now see. The character's transformation is not marked by a change of heart but rather a change within themselves, signifying a deeper understanding and a more authentic way of living. The lyrics convey a sense of self-assurance and contentment with their new identity, suggesting that the character has found their true path and is at peace with the changes they have undergone.